Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Goodbye to DiRobertis-Village Oldie

Just read today that 110 yr East Village old bakery #dirobertis is leaving us. Apparently the dollar equivalent of 6 million cannolis was just too much dough to turn down. I understand the cash out after soon many espressos, baba rums and delectable were served in their white tiled floors to then of thousands of visitors. I myself used to stop by after a night at the #Electric Circus or #FilmoreEast shows. I imagine there were many nights of early career discussions at a wooden table sipping coffee with #bobdinero and #martyscorsese. Singers as #thefugs #bobDylan and writers #alanginsberg probably sat and contemplated their ideas, songs and existentialism in the tiny sitting room. Not to mention mayors #Lindsay and #koch.

The is just another vanishing piece of important NYC history that will be missed.
Nothing against other cafes but the original and simple ambiance is disappearing rapidly under continued gentrification.  So be it. I wish the family well and thank them for being there for all the important times of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment